Section Grower - Peyton, CO
Altman Specialty Plants, LLC. (altmanplants.com) is a family owned wholesale nursery with operations in California, Nevada, Utah, Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, New Jersey, and Texas.
We’re passionate about plants and specialize as the country’s top provider of cacti and succulents. With over 5,000 employees, we’re also passionate about people development, open communications, customer service, and the long-term growth of the company. We provide competitive compensation and benefits.
We’re looking to recruit, retain and grow a Section Grower in our Peyton, Colorado facility. The Section Grower is responsible for the successful production of all crops in his/her area from the time they are received from planting until they are harvested by collection and delivered to the dock.
Key responsibilities for the Section Grower include but are not limited to:
· Coach the growing crew and encourage a culture of teamwork.
· Prepare weekly prioritized projects list.
· Ensure that all critical cultural tasks are completed on time.
· Maximize labor efficiencies through measuring, monitoring, and improving work- flow.
· Understand, train, and check quality of Irrigation techniques and timings.
· Monitor Plant nutrition by performing weekly In-house soil tests and take corrective actions as needed.
· IPM Scouting for pests and disease.
· Prepare weekly scouting report with recommendations to review with the Head Grower.
· Direct and Assist with Pest and Disease control Applications – Chemical and Biological controls.
· Ensure that growing areas are clean and sanitized prior to use.
· Maintain records of all chemical applications crop movements in area.
· Direct Pinching and pruning technique.
· Ensure that the safety program is being followed by all members of your team in your area.
· Ensure all equipment in your area is being used and maintained properly.
· Lead Weekly Safety Topics.
· Execute Quarterly Safety Inspections.
· Oversees New Employee/Transfer Employee Growing Area Safety Orientation.
· Other task and responsibilities as assigned by management.
· Bilingual English and Spanish is preferred but not required.
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
· Strong growing and technical skills.
· Willingness to work flexible days, Saturdays and Sundays as needed.
· Self-directed with high organizational skills & ability to multi-task.
· Respect for & ability to communicate with diverse labor force.
· Skilled in problem solving.
· Computer experience with emphasis on Excel, Word and database applications preferred.
· Flexibility & willingness to learn.
Education and/or Experience
Horticulture Degree or equivalent experience preferred
Interested applicants apply to our Career Page.