Human Resources Representative - Giddings, TX
Department: General Office
Altman Plants is a family owned wholesale nursery company recognized for innovation, marketing, high quality products and creative sales programs. We are in partnership with several key retail customers supplying flowering and specialty plants to their garden centers. We are passionate about open communications, customer service, people development and long term growth of the company. We have operations in California, Arizona, Florida, Colorado, and Texas. We provide competitive benefits and compensation.
The ideal candidate for this position is an up beat and enthusiastic individual who is always willing to go the extra mile and think outside the box to move a task along. This is an hourly position.
The human resource representative is responsible for performing HR-related duties on a professional level and works closely with senior Corporate HR management in supporting designated company locations. This position carries out responsibilities in the following functional areas: benefits administration, employee relations, training, onboarding, policy implementation, recruitment/employment and employment law compliance. This position is under the supervision of the Office Manager in Giddings, TX and is responsible for the administrative support of day-to-day Human Resources operations and assisting with bi-weekly payroll. Candidate will be responsible for maintaining all employee records and files. Must at all times be able to keep HR issues and paperwork confidential. Assists in informing employees of Human Resources policies and programs as needed. Performs general office support functions and assists area personnel as necessary.
This role will be supporting the GM and local Field Sales Management at the local site level and their related business departments/locations by providing assistance and support on matters related to employees/activity. This role will also work on HR projects as needed.
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Examples of key duties are interpreted as being descriptive and not restrictive in nature.
- Ensure that Human Resource files and records are maintained in accordance with legal requirements and Company policies and procedures
- Support personnel as needed including new hire orientation, training, leaves of absence, workers compensation claims, benefits and other employee related issues
- Conduct audits of personnel matters
- Interface with Company personnel to handle HR related matters
- Assist with payroll using ADP software and maintain all employee payroll records.
- Create reports to ensure accuracy of payroll processing.
- Stays well informed regarding human resource developments
- Conducts recruitment effort for all exempt and nonexempt personnel, students and temporary employees; conducts new-employee orientations.
- Handles employee relations counseling, assists with discipline process and interviewing.
- Work with Corporate HR to conduct investigations with the skill and ability to analyze a situation, make appropriate judgments/recommendations/decisions and coach and communicate as needed with employees and supervisors to resolve employee relations matters.
- Ensure all related documentation is comprehensive, thorough, and timely.
- Provide creative solutions to issues and work to resolve employee relations issues with comprehensive knowledge of company policies, procedures, practices and all state, federal, etc. labor laws and regulations.
- Respond to internal complaints presented in a timely manner.
- Maintain the strict confidentiality of sensitive information.
- Responsible for observing all laws, regulations, and other applicable obligations wherever and whenever business is conducted on behalf of the Company.
- Expected to work in a safe manner in accordance with established operating procedures and practices.
- Provide transportation for employees as needed to for medical care.
- Evaluates all work-related accident reports for completeness and clarity of reports, as needed, to ensure compliance with Company policy.
- Communicates and interacts with medical professionals, support agencies and others to monitor and assess the progress of rehabilitation efforts, and to facilitate either return to work or, depending upon medical status of the claimant, placement into appropriate alternative positions within or outside the Company, ensuring compliance with all appropriate regulations and guidelines.
- Assists with hiring and onboarding, travel to remote sites to meet with Field Sales employees to assist and resolve any open issues. Prepares all necessary forms, records and documentation.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ethical Practice.
- Industry and Cultural Awareness.
- HR Expertise.
- Relationship Management.
- Highly organized and able to handle a multitude of tasks on a timely basis.
- Strong time management skills.
- Ability to take and defend a position, articulate it to senior management and support Company decisions that are made.
- Skilled in communicating clear expectations regarding work performance.
- Ability to clearly communicate goals and priorities of the organization as they relate to Human Resources and the Company.
- Ability to influence other employees to work together to support the mission and goals of the Company.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Records maintenance skills.
- Conflict resolution and/or mediation skills.
- Skill in conducting accident investigations.
- Skill in implementing return-to-work, modified duty programs.
- Translation of documents to be completed in Spanish and English.
- Work is performed in an office work environment on a nursery. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- Extended work hours required on occasion which may begin before and / or end after the normally scheduled workday.
- Travel to other offices and field locations as required.
- Proficient in the use of MS Office software (Outlook, Word, PowerPoint and Excel) and the Internet. Experience with ADP systems is helpful.
- Valid driver’s license and reliable transportation required.
- Bilingual in Spanish (read and write).
- Must be bilingual and be able to read and write in English and Spanish
- Familiarity with leaves of absence (FMLA, ADA)
- Familiarity with regulations and practices relating to unemployment, workers compensation, disability benefits
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing with employees and the general public, maintain confidentiality in daily operations, and conduct daily duties in a professional appearance and manner
- Proficiency with MS Office applications including: Word, Excel, and Outlook
- Strong MS Office skills including Advanced Excel – ability to create your own spread sheets and manipulate information as needed (pivot tables, V& H look-ups)
- Good planning and organizational skills to balance and prioritize work.
- Used to working in a fast paced environment.
- Self-starter with decision-making, problem-solving, and analytical skills.
- Ability to work in an office located on a nursery.
- Willing and able to work overtime as needed and flexible hours during busy times.
- Ability to communicate with various levels of management.
This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
High school diploma or equivalent required.
At least one to three years of HR related work experience.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a number of variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
Other Skills and Abilities
Dependability and punctuality are mandatory. Must be able to work Monday through Friday and Saturdays as needed.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, you will be required to frequently sit, use your hands, lift, pull, lift overhead, walk, stand for long periods of time on concrete, stoop, kneel, talk, and hear.
You must be able to regularly lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, and depth perception. You will also be required to use a computer and have a working knowledge of data entry and accounting functions necessary for this position.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The employee is occasionally exposed to airborne particles (dust and dirt). The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.